There is nothing much i will write about tang yuan, i am sure that most of you know about tang yuan history or when it usually served. As i am looking the recipe on the net i’ve read a lot about it and it doesn’t necessary for me to re-write about it cos’ it just the same.
Tang yuan is mainly made from glutinous rice flour. Can be served with diffrent type of syrup/soup and filling. It can be heavy or light syrup/soup and i prefer mine with light syrup/soup. Since it extremely hot in my place i’ve choose sweet potato syrup/soup with barley. It really refreshing and light.
Usually origanal tang yuan is white with no filling but since time goes by, it been modify and came out in diffrent colour and filling. To make a diffrent colour i use orange and purple sweet potato and also screwpine for green colour. I find that tang yuan with sweet potato is more soft ,easy to shape and hold in shape while tang yuan with screwpine is a bit chewy and best to shape it after the water is boiling. There is a thing that you must know about orange and purple potato, they have a diffrent capacity to absorb water. Purple sweet potato in other hand is more to sandy and dry type.
makes ( i forgot to count )
Orange tang yuan
310 g orange sweet potato
80 g glutinous flour
20 g water
Purple tang yuan
280 g purple sweet potato
88 g glutinous flour
90 g water
Green tang yuan
136 g screwpine juice ( 8 pcs screwpine leave + enough water )
136 g glutinous flour
2 tsp coconut pandan emulco
900 g sweet potato
90 g barley
70 g granulated white sugar
130 g brown sugar (add more if you loved sweet)
80 g sago
7 pcs screwpine leaf ( knot )
3 L water
1. Measure all ingredient as detailed above. Skinned sweet potato, measure and steam until very soft. Clean screwpine, cut and blend with water. Strain to get the juice. Set aside. In mean time cook your syrup/soup so that you can transfer your tang yuan immediately into it once cooked.
2. Transfer hot sweet potato into a bowl, mash until fine. Strain to remove any uncook potato and veins ( thin line on the potato ). Add in flour, and knead until form a ball. Add 1 tsp water at a time and keep kneading until you got a soft and easy to shape sweet potato ball. At the begining it may very sticky but just keep kneading. Add a little flour if it still stick to your hand after kneading a few minute. The dough should be very soft but not stick to your hand. Set aside.
3. Repeat the same process for purple sweet potato. It will be quite difficult with purple sweet potato since it more drier and sandy type than orange sweet potato but it will produce more attractive colour than other. Set aside.
4. For green colour, add pandan juice and coconut pandan emulco to glutinous flour. Knead until became a smooth dough. If you find the dough is not soft enough add a little water at a time. Shape like a ball with your palm. You can shape it after your water is boiling so that you can put it into the water right after you shape it. This way you will get a pretty round ball.
5. Put your pandan tang yuan into hot boiling water. When it float to the surface it mean your tang yuan is ready. Take it out and put into ice water. Let it sit until your syrup is ready or you can transfer directly into syrup once ready.
6. Do the same to potato tang yuan. It will float to surface and you will know it done.
TO MAKE SYRUP OR SOUP
1. Boil water, screwpine leaf and barley together. When you see the barley is expand than it original size, add in the rest ingredient except sago. Simmer until the potato is became soft. Add sago and turn to high heat for 5 minute and stir so that your sago not stick together. Transfer your tang yuan to the syrup/soup. Turn off fire and cover the pot with lid for another 10 minute before serving. This is to make sure the sago is fully cooked.
* best to served it immediately.
* The size of tang yuan is depend on your preference.
Baking With Kelly