Pandan Nian Gao also known as screw pine sticky steamed cake or you also can call it new year cake. This cake is very sticky and sweet but delicious. Usually people will make nian gao using dark brown sugar (this is the original flavour) , but today i am going to show you something diffrent. What i mean here is nian gao with screw pine flavor. I try to goggle it but cant find any so i make my own recipe based on the original flavour with only a little modification.
I have made two version of Pandan Nian Gao. First version is coconut milk and screw pine and second version is plain screw pine. I find that my second version of nian gao is more delicious than the first version. How ever my pandan nian gao is more sticky. With the original recipe i use 500 ml plain water for 500 g glutinous flour 450 brown sugar and my nian gao is perfect. Easy to cut and soft. I am using the same amount of my pandan nian gao and the only thing that i added which i didn’t in my original flavour is i add 1 tbsp oil ( trying to be smart )…granulated white sugar instead brown sugar and 300 pandan juice deluted with 200 plain water which make it 500 ml total same like my original nian gao recipe.
For my opinion , i should reduce 50 ml water and add a little oil. I loved the taste of my pandan nian gao cos once you bite the cake you can feel pandan taste and its aroma that will make you want to eat more…
PANDAN NIAN GAO
500 g glutinous rice flour
450 ml pandan juice
450 g granulated white sugar
1 tsp oil
Banana leaves to line the pan
Oil ( to brush banana leaves )
1. Clean screw pine and soak it into water for 30 minute.
2. Cut pandan leaves and put it into blender with 200 ml water to get the juice. Once done strain the juice. The juice should be 300 at this time. Add 200 ml water to the juice to make it 500 ml total.
3. Blanch your banana leaf with hot water so that it will be easy to line on the pan. Brush your banana leaf with oil to make sure your nian gao not stick to banana leaf and easy to cut.
To Prepare The Batter
1. Boil your pandan juice and add sugar. Stir until the sugar is deluted. Stop the heat. And let it cool.
2. Once cooled pour the juice mixture into sifted flour. Stir slowly. At this point you can see some lump on the batter . Strain to get the smooth batter. The batter should look like a ribbon stage.
3. Pour the batter on the pan. Steam for 2 hour. Cool before storing.
You can refrigerate for more than one month. Just take out from freeze 30 minute before using.